What is insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder that normally refers to the lack of tendency to fall asleep. It is a common health issue that mostly occurs in people when they go through some stress in their life. More so, the people suffering from insomnia may suffer through the following situations –
- Difficulty to falling asleep
- Unable to stay asleep for long
- Keep getting up in between the sleeping hours
- Difficulty in functionality
- Not able to feel refreshed after waking up
- Feeling fatigued throughout the day
More so, if you are not taking enough sleep in a day, then it will affect your overall health. Not only will it make you look tired or uninterested in the routine work, but it will also make you physically weak. In short, lack of sleep will have a negative effect on your physical and mental health as well.
As per the reports, about 1/3rd of all adults suffer from the symptoms of insomnia. In the United States, about 10% of adults have severe insomnia symptoms, due to which they need proper diagnosis and treatment. Henceforth, it is better to take advice from a health professional rather than worsen the symptoms.
Symptoms of Insomnia –
Sometimes, people who get a few sleepless nights assume that they have insomnia. However, it is quite easy to tell if you really suffer through the issue or not.
More so, a person who has insomnia will face the following symptoms –
- Getting up too early in the morning and finding it difficult to fall back asleep
- Staying awake for late hours at night and thinking you may not be able to fall asleep
- Unable to fall asleep after going to bed
- Continuous interruption in your sleep pattern and not able to feel refreshed after waking up
When you suffer from such symptoms of insomnia, there can be other issues that tend to occur. They include –
- Extreme tiredness
- Irritation and mood swings
- Unable to concentrate
- Not able to remember things
Causes of Insomnia –
When any person has insomnia, there can be various reasons for the occurrence of the issue. More so, some people may suffer from underlying diseases that can be linked with insomnia and its symptoms.
Common causes of insomnia may include –
- Too much stress
- Going through a tough phase of your life
- Shifts in sleeping patterns
- Physical body pain
- Sleeping in a new place or with a new partner
- Traumatic or upsetting events
- Effect of certain potent medications
Apart from these issues, there can be other serious terms that may enhance the problem of insomnia. Moreover, chronic conditions may affect the person and have a negative impact on overall health.
The result of such issues includes –
- Serious health conditions like – diabetes, cancer, and heart issues. Etc.
- Unable conditions of pain
- Suffer from arthritis and back pain
- Feeling anxious, depressed, and having other psychological issues
- Substance abuse (illegal drugs)
- Sleep apnea (breathing issue while asleep)
It is obvious that people who have insomnia will not be able to keep calm. Some people start to feel anxiety as the day shifts to nighttime. That’s why it is important to take proper health advice and do not ignore the signs of insomnia. Henceforth, it will protect you from the after issues that can be more harmful and suicidal in many cases.
Types of Insomnia
Before applying to the treatment of insomnia, it’s better to know what condition you are suffering from. As per the direction of psychological and medical experts, insomnia can be categorized into the following types –
- Acute or Short-Term insomnia – It is a sleeping disorder where the person finds it difficult to sleep for a brief time. Such conditions mostly occur when a person suffers through stressful events in life. More so, it may last for a period of 2 to 3 months, and the symptoms may fade away on their own.
- Chronic insomnia – The person suffering from sleepless nights for a long period will be classified under the chronic condition of insomnia. They may face the issue for months, and then it will be normal. The problem arises when the situation continues occurring from time to time after every period.
- Onset insomnia – It is a common issue in people as they do not tend to fall asleep for at least an hour after going to bed. Some reason can be the use of substances like caffeine right before going to bed. More so, you may need some medicine from a health advisor, and it will certainly wear off in no time.
Note: There can be other variants of insomnia, but to know more about your condition, it’s better to have a word with your health advisor. Moreover, it will protect you from the issues that may occur after a certain time. In addition, every person may suffer from different symptoms and treat them; it is mandatory to know the right method.